A dense purple wine that presents notes of blueberries, black raspberries and a touch of smoke. A medium to full-bodied and elegant wine that is loaded with an inner framework of minerality and structured tannins.
Chateau Canon, located on top of the limestone plateau in view of the St. Emilion village, was originally part of the Clos St-Martin vineyard. It was purchased in 1760 by Jacques Kanon, frigate lieutenant and corsair working for King Louis XV. With his fame and fortune as a privateer, Kanon expanded the vineyard plantings bringing the estate much closer in size to what it is today. Kanon sold the estate to Raymond Fontemoing, a wealthy Bordeaux wine merchant who already owned a property named Chateau Canon. Officially renamed in 1853, the estate was purchased by the Wertheimer family in 1996, owners of the fashion icon Chanel. Under the management of John Kolasa, an extensive project was started to replant the vineyards and modernize the winemaking facilities. In 2011, Canon purchased Chateau Matras, to add to the production of its second wine, Clos Canon. In the summer of 2013, the Canon team unveiled the meticulously restored “Chapelle de Mazerat,” a 12th century church that now houses the entire winemaking and production side of Clos Canon. Today, Chateau Canon is recognized as a Premiere Grand Cru Classe “B” of St. Emilion and one of the great estates of Bordeaux.
|The vineyards consist of 54 hectares, planted to 75% Merlot, and 25% Cabernet Franc. The soil is clay-limestone with a south, southwest exposure. The average age of the vines is 26 years old and is planted at an average density of 5,500 plants per hectare. Alcoholic fermentation takes place in thermo-regulated stainless steel vats with 1/3 of the malo taking place in barrel. The wine is aged for 18-20 months in French oak . 60% new for the Grand Vin and 10% new for the second wine. The wine is racked every three months and fined with egg whites. The 2009 Clos Canon comprised 40% of the total production of the estate and is 100% Merlot.