Corbaia is a deep blood-ruby red super Tuscan blendof Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon that opens with intensity and bright fruit flavors. On the nose, a vein of fruit preserve of plum & black cherry melds well with more developed characteristics, such as elegant Eucalyptus &
mint , delicate nuances of liquorice, lauren and balsamic. The attack is solid and powerful, bolstered by a decisive suite of finely silky-woven tannins well-integrated into the balance and structure. Truly a masterpiece of the winemaker.
Wine Advocate 95 points - Made with Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2009 Corbaia is a richly layered red that reveals elegant tones of red rose, cherry, freshly milled black pepper, prune and dried blackberry. This is a multifaceted and fascinating wine with a firm tannic backbone surrounded by fleshy fruit, bitter chocolate and exotic spice. The 2009 vintage shows a uniquely plump quality of fruit. Anticipated maturity: 2015-2030. (Aug 2013)
OR Leave a Comment
The winemaking revolution which in the last few years has taken place in Chianti Classico and in Tuscan winemaking in general could hardly have left untouched as well a historic winery estate such as Castello di Bossi.
Develop to the fullest extent possible the potential represented by this estate and embrace modern technology, while respecting at the same time the character of the Chianti heartland: these were the tasks we set ourselves to bring our wine house into the highest ranks of international wine.
The programme took decades to come to full fruition, with the Bacci family carefully selecting the most talented staff for that purpose and setting uncompromising quality as its single most important goal.
Today the Castello di Bossi covers 650 hectares , on which 124 are under vine. By utilising only the most enlightened viticultural practices, we harvest, vintage after vintage, prize fruit that represents to the fullest extent the qualities of terroir and of their individual grape varieties.
Those 124 hectares planted to Sangiovese, the main variety of Chianti Classico and of Tuscany in general; and to Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, which were planted at Bossi some forty years ago, probably among the first in Chianti Classico.
Their roots go deep into soils that are predominantly tuffs, yellow clays, silt-sand, and crushed rock, at an altitude of about 350 meters . These conditions, plus a unique microclimate and optimal exposition to the sun, yield grapes that are perfectly ripe, healthy, and of great character.
The grapes ferment in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks fitted with the most advanced processing systems. The wine then matures and rests in the barrel cellar, with over 1,000 light-toast French oak barrels. The state-of-the-art bottling line is temperature-controlled as well, and feeds directly into the bottle-storage facility. It, too, is fully insulated and fully cold- and heat-regulatable.
Absolutely fundamental for keeping our standards of quality high is our ambitious programme of replanting, carried out on a cyclic basis and due for completion in 3-4 years.
Castello di Bossi wines are distributed through a network of business partners. Their work is of critical importance to us, for they ensure the most suitable placement of our wines in restaurants and wine bars throughout the world.
The Castello di Bossi is located in the commune of Castelnuovo Berardenga, on the road that leaves the old Chiantigiana road, at Pianella, and ascends to Brolio amidst evergreen forests and long rows of vines. With its centuries-old trees, its fossil beds, and richly varied native vegetation, this unique spot has always aroused curiosity, even in remote times, and experts have studied its characteristics.
The name Bossi would seem to derive from the money chest which the Roman army would carry to its encampments to pay the soldiers; the word probably refers to the boxwood, a rare and prized wood at that time, from which the chest was built. Inscriptions dating from the 1st and 2nd centuries AD, discovered in an ancient wall of the canonry in San Marcellino, indicate that this area was the site of a Roman settlement.
The first reliable evidence of families dwelling in the Bossi area dates to the 9th century, when a noble family, the dei Berardenghi, settled there. Winigi and his wife Richilda enjoyed a lengthy rule over the territories they owned; they then decided to withdraw into private life and donated to religious institutions their fiefs and properties. They kept, however, the properties which today surround the castle. Bossi was a specific locale and was mentioned as such in a 1099 donation deed by Azzo di Rustico to the monastery of Fontebona. Bossiís church, dedicated to SantíAndrea, was built later, possibly around 1200, to afford improved spiritual care to the inhabitants of the growing village.
Contemporary documents reveal that vineyards already existed at that time, since a portion of rents and leases was paid in kind, wine being cited among the listed products. In the war between Florenceand Siena, Bossi was a bordering area; only after the battle of Montaperti did economic activities recover their normal level. This was made possible by construction of new roads and facilities or improving the safety of existing ones, all aimed at re-establishing commercial links. Existing castles were renovated, but Bossiís tower was not affected.
When Castelnuovo Berardenga was founded, in 1346, Bossi was included in its jurisdiction;in 1383 Bossi was summoned to its defence against mercenaries in the pay of Florence. In the same period, the territory was acquired by the Pacidi family, who were originally from Radi but now lived in Siena. The demolition of the old tower and the construction of the palazzo of Bossi can be dated between the late 14th and early 15th centuries.
But the castle was damaged even in the late 15th century by the Florentines, who failed to capture Berardenga but proceeded to destroy numerous outlying districts. The accession of the Medicis brought a halt to the inter-city warfare and gave local populations the chance to begin normal civic life again. This juncture proved favourable for renewed winemaking activities. The castle property gained two new owners, the Ugurgeri and Ospedale di Santa Maria della Scala ofSiena, both connected to the Placidi family. Under the rule of Leopold II, Granduke of Tuscany, the entire region enjoyed a period of prosperity.
His policies made it a politically liberal state, and commercial, cultural, and civic life flourished.Giovanni Battista Vivarelli, heir to Isabella, the last of the Ugurgeri, transferred the Castel estate to the Sienese jurist Giuseppe Giuggioli, whose family retained the property up until World War II, when it was purchased by the Piccolomini family of Siena.
The abolition of the mezzadria, or sharecropping, system, led to a population shift away from the country and to a consequent crisis in the agricultural sector. Bossi, too, underwent a slow decline until it was acquired by the present owners, the Bacci family. These forward-looking proprietors introduced modern production methods and better management practices, leading to a rebirth for the Castello.